Situated on the Plaza de las Atarazanas, the Cathedral was originally built in the form of the Abbey of San Emeter. It was declared a cultural heritage site in 1931.
Of monasterial Gothic in style, sober and without flourishes, the Cathedral consists of two churches: the current Church of the Santísimo Cristo with partially glazed floors, which allows the site of the old Roman remains to be seen; and an upper one that was rebuilt after the fire of 1941. Both are located alongside the cloister and its garden, the former cemetery of the town. The latter contains the tomb of Marcelino Menéndez Pelayo.
Church of El Sagrado Corazón
Near the Old Quarter we come to this Neogothic church. In its interior you can enjoy the colourful paintings of Heinrich Immenkamp and the twelve pillars representing the twelve apostles.
Church of La Consolación
This 18th-century church stands in Calle Alta. It is one of the town’s oldest surviving buildings. Of classicist baroque style, it is known for the main doorway of its nave, inside which is kept and venerated the image of the Santo Cristo de la Salud.
Santa Cruz Convent
Opposite the Cantabrian Regional Parliament stands this convent which was founded in the 17th century. As from 1837 it was used as a tobacco factory. It was declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1982.
Church of Santa Lucía
Adjacent to the Plaza Cañadío we come to this church of an eclectic style which was designed by Antonio Zabaleta. Built between 1854 and 1868, it has a spectacular portico with large Ionic columns. It was declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1987.
Church of La Anunciación (La Compañía)
This church can be seen from the Juan de Herrera shopping street; it was declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1992. It is considered to be one of the best examples of the Renaissance architecture of the region as it follows the classical model of the Italian Vignola.
Chapel of La Virgen del Mar
Located on the island of La Virgen del Mar (San Román de la Llanilla), one of the most spectacular landscapes of the Santander coast, the Chapel of La Virgen del Mar was built in the late 14th century in honour of the patron of Santander. Consisting of a single nave divided into three sections and a hexagonal apse, it contains three altarpieces in its interior.